The Important Benefits of a Strong Immune System
Below, Dr Joshua Berkowitz shares his insight into the role and benefits of keeping a strong and healthy immune system to help protect against disease. He also shares his practical tips.
Airborne diseases can pose a huge threat and are particularly dangerous to individuals with weak immune systems.
Simple actions such as avoiding crowds, regularly washing hands, covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze, staying at home if symptomatic or feeling unwell and getting tested if worried about symptoms are things that everyone can do to reduce the risk and spread of diseases. There is no need for mass panic, just simple, sensible precautions!
What Is A Strong Immune System?
A strong immune system requires balance and harmony in the body to work together to fight off harmful infections and illnesses.
Having a strong immune system is one of the biggest advantages for humans and there are many steps individuals can take to help strengthen their immune systems to help fight infections and reduce the risk of contracting highly contagious diseases.
How Can I Boost My Immune System Naturally?
- Getting plenty of sleep (8 hours a night)
- Eating a nutritious diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Getting natural sunshine (or supplement with Vitamin D)
- Doing regular meditation or yoga
- Exercising daily
- Take supplements such as B12, Vitamin C and glutathione which have been proven to help strengthen the immune system
- Maintaining a healthy weight
Things that diminish an efficient immune system are emotional or physical stress and these should be actively managed.
Gut health is also very important so taking probiotics and reducing alcohol consumption are vital.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms of a Weakened Immune System?
- Stomach complaints – diarrhoea, constipation, flatulence. Up to 70% of your immune system is located in your gut so maintaining good gut health (lots of friendly gut bacteria) is essential for strong immunity.
- Slow-healing wounds – your body relies on healthy immune cells for healing, sending nutrient-rich blood to the injury to regenerate. Your skin is unable to heal or regenerate quickly when the immune system is low.
- Frequent infections – repeated infections such as ear, respiratory, coughs, colds and influenza and requiring more than two courses of antibiotics a year, are signs of a compromised immune system.
- Fatigue – when your immune system is low, so are your energy levels as your body is trying to conserve energy to power your immune system to help protect against infections.
IV vitamin drips such as the
What Are The Benefits of a Strong Immune System?
The benefits of a strong immune system can be pretty subtle. The strongest benefits are:
- Fights off pathogens
- Combats viruses and bacteria
- Battles foreign bodies
- It helps prevents infections and disease
One example of how your immune system works is when you get a small red bump on your skin following a mosquito bite. That itchy bump is a sure sign of your immune system keeping unwanted pathogens at bay.
Immunity Boosters are extremely popular for individuals wanting to supercharge their immune system. Full of powerful vitamins, minerals and antioxidants such as glutathione, cysteine, arginine, Vitamin C and zinc, the treatment work quickly and efficiently to boost the immune system, regenerating the body and protecting against infection.
Remember, washing hands and a healthy immune system are for life, so integrating and maintaining these changes will give you the best chance of keeping well and healthy!
Dr Joshua Berkowitz is a GP and the Medical Director at IV BOOST UK. Dr Josh uses a combination of western and natural medicine in his practice, often integrating IV vitamin drips to ensure the body is fully supported to function effectively.