The Important Benefits of a Strong Immune System
Dr Joshua Berkowitz is a GP and the Medical Director at IV BOOST UK. Dr Josh uses a combination of western and natural medicine in his practice, often integrating IV vitamin drips to ensure the body is fully supported to function effectively.
Below he shares his insight into the role and benefits of keeping a strong and healthy immune system to help protect against disease. He also shares his practical tips.
Airborne diseases can pose a huge threat and are particularly dangerous to individuals with weak immune systems. With Coronavirus at epidemic levels, individuals should act responsibly to reduce their risk by controlling their environment.
Simple actions such as avoiding crowds, regularly washing hands, covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze, staying at home if symptomatic or feeling unwell and getting tested if worried about symptoms are things that everyone can do to reduce the risk and spread of diseases. There is no need for mass panic, just simple, sensible precautions!
Whilst Coronavirus is dominating media headlines, affecting the global economy and causing concern amongst the public, this is not the first super-virus and it certainly won’t be the last.
A strong immune system is one of the biggest advantages for humans and there are many steps individuals can take to help strengthen their immune systems to help fight infections and reduce the risk of contracting highly contagious diseases.
How can I boost my immune system naturally?
- Getting plenty of sleep (8 hours a night)
- Eating a nutritious diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Getting natural sunshine (or supplement with Vitamin D)
- Doing regular meditation or Yoga
- Exercising daily
- Take supplements such as B12, Vitamin C and glutathione which have been proven to help strengthen the immune system
- Maintaining a healthy weight
Things that diminish an efficient immune system are emotional or physical stress and these should be actively managed.
Gut health is also very important so taking probiotics and reducing alcohol consumption is vital.
What are the signs and symptoms of a weakened immune system?
- Stomach complaints – diarrhoea, constipation, flatulence. Up to 70% of your immune system is located in your gut so maintaining good gut health (lots of friendly gut bacteria) is essential for strong immunity.
- Slow-healing wounds – your body relies on healthy immune cells for healing, sending nutrient-rich blood to the injury to regenerate. Your skin is unable to heal or regenerate quickly when the immune system is low.
- Frequent infections – repeated infections such as ear, respiratory, coughs, colds and influenza and requiring more than two courses of antibiotics a year, are signs of a compromised immune system.
- Fatigue – when your immune system is low, so are your energy levels as your body is trying to conserve energy to power your immune system to help protect against infections.
IV vitamin drips such as the Immunity Booster are extremely popular for individuals wanting to supercharge their immune system. Full of powerful vitamins, minerals and antioxidants such as glutathione, cysteine, arginine, vitamin C and zinc, the treatment work quickly and efficiently to boost the immune system, regenerating the body and protecting against infection.
Remember, washing hands and a healthy immune system are for life, not just for coronavirus so integrating and maintaining these changes will give you the best chance of keeping well and healthy!